Contributors

Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Deviance

In Sociology class our professor has been talking about deviance. He talked today about the values that society has, and the values that most of us, hold dear as a result.

An example of such "values" or goals, is "SUCCESS". And the way one goes about achieving success is with ambition, education and of course, hard work. My professor then theorized (well,actually it wasn't him, it was Merton's theory)that what happens when one doesn't quite agree with society's values or goals, we have deviance.

So then I realized, then...I am deviant! The definition of success in our society is mostly money and status, which I do not consider "VALUES".

Additionally, other things that this society considers priorities are physical appearance, material posessions, image,diplomas, credentials etc. Every one of them, is in contrast with what Jesus was all about. He was NOT about image, money, diplomas, and STUFF in general. He was about love, heart, people, His Father. That makes us deviant. If we are following our Father in Heaven our priorities WILL not reflect this society's values and goals.

I guess that's what Jesus meant when He said (I think it was Him that said it)that we are to love the world, but not "join in". We are deviant. We don't fit in.

Ok, so maybe this is well covered territory in the Christian faith, we are aware of this, we are familiar with the concept, but to hear the word DEVIANT which has such negative connotations, was eye-opening for me.
Google defines deviance as "a state or condition markedly different from the norm". MARKEDLY DIFFERENT hmmmm....now, THAT made me think. I am not sure I am "markedly different" from the norm. So now I'm asking myself, am I deviant enough?!

I think to a certain extent we all "join in" on some of our environment's values, it's inevitable. But I am finding that as far as I am concerned, there has definitely been a high level of conformity on my part. Conformity to this world, the society, the "values" that everyone else around me holds dear,not the ones Jesus lived by. That bugs me, but it also compels me to find those areas where I have conformed, and ask Him to show me His way.
I want to be deviant Lord! :-)

3 comments:

Chris said...

awesome. it's like, being a hippie in the '60's or something - and Biblical, to boot. Great post Laura!

Greg said...

Am I deviant enough is a funny question! :-)

Great thoughts. Remember too, that Jesus was deviant, not really in the worlds eyes... but in the eyes of the religious folk. They thought he was a deviant for the people he spent time with, and the way he did not keep the rules.

Deviant is a good thing. :-)

Laura said...

Chris : Yeah! A biblical hippie, that's funny! :-)

Greg: Yes, I guess I could theorize( just because I don't know enough history) that the religious leaders in Jesus time weren't just religious leaders but basically...leaders of the time. And so in a way, they represented that society's as far as values and goals.These days, the religious leaders are obviously NOT representative of the society we live in, but TV, the media, movies, etc. are.
That's the difference I guess in deviance....back then Jesus was deviant in the environment of self righteousness; these days we are called to be deviant in an environment of self indulgence.

Followers