Contributors

Friday, December 23, 2011

joy and grief

Bright sun in my eyes, crows over head lamenting, or is it laughing? The breeze moves across my skin and hair, and I am alive to this day, alive in Jesus, to what this life gives and to what it often harshly takes away.

My coffee is cold, but not my heart, even as I struggle to catch my breath, sorrow catching in my throat, my heart? No, my heart is warm...warm and full

"Who told us we'd be rescued?" the song goes, and it just keeps ringing in my ears, and inside of me, and "why should we be saved from nightmares?"

This is life, in its warmth there is cold, in its joy there is sorrow, in its pain there is love
And this is the gift...to hold warmth in the cold, to squeeze love out of pain, to let joy out of sorrow.
To hear birds and see sunrises, to sip warm coffee while swaddled in blankets in the crisp early morning.
To cry tears of sorrow that only true love can bring, to share in pain with those who mourn, because our hearts are full. To have unity across the distance, to have communion with those who are not here for us to hold.

Only a heart that is full can break
Only a cheek that's warm feels the fullness of the tears
Only life can bring both in

Like breathing in and breathing out, joy and sorrow dance in and out of life, in and out of hearts, and arms,and eyes, and ears...

To live is to suffer, to laugh and to cry, to give and to receive, to hurt and be hurt, at once to be both full and empty.

"Who told us we'd be rescued?" Life flows without safety nets, but our Savior falls and rises with us, His heart in our heart, His chest wet with our tears
His laugh hearty with ours, His joy immeasurable in us, His love full and strong, and everlasting.

5 comments:

Stacey said...

Beautiful Laura....thanks for sharing!

Laura said...

Thank you Stacey...
I'm not much of a writer, it's really more Paul's bag, but sometimes...it just comes out :-)

Greg said...

What an amazing existence our Creator has made for us, and inhabits with us. Sometimes either the pain or even the joy seems far too overwhelming, but he's there with us (as we are with ones we love who are in the midst of the extremes of either) and Jesus is just as full of that same emotion/experience of life as we are.

Well said, all of this. (And I do hear a strong influence of the book you've been reading by Ann Voskamp in these words. Cool.)

Laura said...

thank you Greg, for reading and commenting :-)
Yes, Ann Voskamp is definitely influencing my reading and writing, in very cool ways!

Laura said...

Thank you Priscilla... It means a lot to me that you not only read it, but liked it as well :-)

Followers