Contributors

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Do I know you?

I was thinking about my blog today, and about how, if you are reading it, then..I am talking to you, so then I wondered...are you likely to get what I'm saying? Do you and I have some things in common? For example:

Have you ever found yourself thinking and analyzing so much that you worry about your own sanity?

Have you ever read a book and thought to yourself, "I have to read every other work by this author?"

Have you ever been moved to tears by the pure sound of music, whether pop, classical, jazz?

Have you ever watched the same movie (or read the same book) tens of times and experienced it at a different level each time?

Have you ever felt almost as if you might have a split personality disorder, because in the same day you are capable of reaching the deepest depth of the pit and also the highest peek of joy?

Have you ever thought that you belonged in another time, that you should have been born at a different time in history, or in a different place?

Have you ever seen a character in a movie and thought to yourself, "I could be like that!" except...you're not?

Have you ever felt paralyzed by too many options or choices?

Have you ever had one of those days when you thought "the only way I will get through this day is if I am able to pretend this is someone else's life for a while"?

Have you ever thought that you were meant for something really special, but are quite convinced that you will screw it up?

Are you fascinated by people like Hemingway, George Bernard Shaw, Henry David Thoreau, Thomas Merton?

Did you ever read the book or see the movie "Into the Wild" and were you haunted by it? By how much you identified with the main character?

Do you ever listen to a Jack Johnson song and just dream of leaving everything behind and moving to Hawaii? :-)

These are all things that either have happpened or currently happen to me, and I wonder how many people out there are a little bit like me...strength in numbers, right? Feels good to know that one isn't the only crazy one out there sometimes. But then some other times one would prefer the silly notion that one IS uniquely insane...or maybe that's just me.

I have had times in my life when I have examined how many little pieces of me I have left scattered across the world, and wonder, if I could somehow piece it all back together, what that would feel/look like...Because of how many times I have moved around, I have entire "lives" lived elsewhere, with other people...I have moved on from each life, each time with the sense of loss, along with that sense of adventure and excitement. But after so many years and so many losses, I start feeling as though I need to mourn those lives..and let them go, while somehow maintaining the parts of me that were changed through them, the parts of me that were loved and nurtured, and the parts of me that grew and learned...

If I could I would simultaneously live all of them at once...because they are all part of me, all three countries, all three languages, all three cultures, all those wonderful people who knew me, loved me, helped me to become a more genuine version of me. They liked me in spite of myself, cared for me and genuinely found something of value inside me.

I am pretty sure YOU are one of them, so thank you. And thank you for reading my crazy ramblings. Thank you for liking me, at least a little, for indulging my narcissism, and not judging me for it ;-)

really, thanks!

2 comments:

Greg said...

I was reading along, answering each of your questions in my head (and some out loud): "No, I don't think so... Yes, definitely... Probably... Definitely... No, I think that's a female thing..." ... and so on. But then there were too many to actually answer. :)

You said:

"I have ... wonder[ed], if I could somehow piece it all back together, what that would feel/look like..." and "If I could I would simultaneously live all of them at once...because they are all part of me, all three countries, all three languages, all three cultures, all those wonderful people".

It made me think that... you are. You are all of those things pieced together. Maybe the daily routines and who you do them with are different, but aren't we all the things we've seen, done, been (with a good measure of Jesus' regenerating of us) anyway?

I really like Steven Curtis Chapman's song Miracle of the Moment from the This Moment album. Have a listen when you can. That whole album is great, actually.

And... I like this post. Fun way to share some of the craziness in your head. I tend to do the same thing (thus the title of my blog!) but... I also tend to be more wordy... (like my comments??) :) Good job keeping it pithy.

Lastly, glad to read along. I'm glad for the folks that stop by my blog (and especially comment, as well). I do enjoy thinking through stuff with friends. So keep posting, we'll keep reading!

Laura said...

well, wow! thank you for such a well thought out comment, makes me think quite a bit more (as if THAT's what I need more of, HA!)

You make a great point. Maybe the reason I don't feel that I AM all those things pieced together has to do with the feeling that I have been "lost" for a long while. I have been trying to work my way back for a while too. Part of it is that I don't feel i am all those pieces together if I don't acknowledge them, and so that is what I am hoping to do more consciously. Acknowledge all my "pieces" :-)

thank you again for reading and commenting!!

Followers