Contributors

Sunday, January 08, 2012

A Simple Life

I have been thinking lately about how much I crave a simple life, only to realize, I am not quite sure what that would entail.

I think it means being close to who God has made me to be, focusing on the ones I love, decluttering my mind, my life, and my home of those things that are just not essential. Easier said than done, right?

I feel a little lost but definitely very motivated to figure out what it is that a simple life would entail for me. Micah 6:8 pops into mind: "He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God."

When I think of what it is that I want my life to be about it always comes back to love, joy, companionship, beauty, simplicity. I think of Jesus, sharing meals with his dear friends, no home, no possessions, no real ties to the material world. And I so wish that could be me. Unencumbered by physical and material desires, free of the want and need to amass things, to create structures we then work to support. But I suppose that's wishing I wasn't human, which sometimes, I do.

I just want life to be SIMPLE. I want LESS. I want just the ESSENTIAL. Life is so short, we really don't have time to be messing around with anything else.

2 comments:

Greg said...

You don't want to be human, eh? What form would you prefer? :)

Simple is beautiful, and quite difficult in our culture. Often the only way to live simply is to remove yourself from that culture of plenty (more than plenty!)

Trust Jesus to show you where he is leading you to live and enjoy a simpler life. He will! And enjoy the journey there :)

Laura said...

hahaha, well human just seems like soooooooooo much work all the time :-( maybe dog...my dogs seem pretty happy, well loved and taken care of :-)

in all seriousness, simple really is difficult, kind of a paradox i guess. It feels like we contradict ourselves a lot...or at least, I do.

maybe I also tend to over complicate where I could simplify, over think..over do...

JESUS HELP ME! :-)

Followers