Contributors

Sunday, August 05, 2007

I run, therefore I am...skinnier?

Many of you know I run. I consider myself a runner even though I still struggle to get up to my goal of logging 20 weekly miles, and even though to the naked eye my "running" looks more like jogging or bounce-walking.

I consider myself a runner mostly because I am dedicated. I started running back in 2002 and have been since with a few breaks in between, some due to injury some due to laziness and some due to pregnancy, fatness and overall out-of-shape-ness.
But I'm at it again, this time since April and it always surprises me how much I like it. It does so much for my self-esteem, for that closet athlete in me who loves the feeling of pushing my body to do things I could swear it could not do.

But beyond that, I just love getting out there. And I like the paradoxical feeling that is how something so simple can be so hard. HOw much it can hurt. Oh but it hurts so goooooood!

So I run, and I will probably continue to do so for the rest of my life, or at least as long as my body allows me to do so.
I ran 5 miles this morning with some friends and that just made my day much better than it would hvae otherwise been.
I run, therefore, I'm a runner. Or actually, I love to run, therefore I'm a runner.

4 comments:

Greg said...

Good on ya! That's more than I would run! I don't even like running for a mile! ONE mile. I do enjoy walking at a nice brisk pace though. Maybe I just run too hard/fast? :-)

I do agree though... somehow that tiredness energizes me for the rest of the day (when I go for my 2.6 mile walk in the mornings. Hope it gets cool again soon, so I can. :-)

Good job sticking with it! Maybe you'll be running 50 miles a day like Steph soon...

(OK, maybe not 50...) :-)

Laura said...

Well, in order to go for multiple miles I do have to go slow...maybe you could try that ;-)

Hmm...50 miles is more than I want to do in one WEEK let alone a day! HA HA

George said...

I came accross your Blog accidentally. I was actually looking for Pauls web site to see if he was keeping it up and I saw this link.
Anyway... In finding your blog (which is well written) I saw the link to Paul's blog. I assumed it was to his web page and came accross his Blog. How's he doing with the book? Is this now victim to "not enough time"? Tell him he's overdue for a next installment.

As for running. I have not run (consistently) in over a year... Therefore I am FAT.

I missed you guys at the reunion. I hope to get out your way over the holidays. Give Lakelan a hug from Tio Jorge...

I've got you bookmarked, so I'll be checking in on your musings from time to time.

Love you guys.

Priscilla said...

Hey! Good job on that medal at the 5k. I ran it too to prove to myself that I could. However...I am not a runner. I had some real trouble with painful knees and decided that I value walking and hope to still do that someday when I am elderly.

For me I will walk briskly and work hard at Curves.

By the way...you look great!

Followers